The 247Sports composite ratings have been updated, and several key Baylor football recruits received bumps. In fact, a pair of signees moved from 3- to 4-star recruits.
Offensive lineman Connor Galvin and running back Craig Williams rose to the rank of consensus 4-star prospect, which gives the Bears six such players in the class. Only 19 teams in the nation have more blue-chip recruits than Baylor.
There are only a few loose ends in the recruiting class. However, at least one more 4-star prospect is within the Bears’ grasp. Adding that player would push Baylor to a top-20 class, which would be the best in program history.
Here is how Baylor’s recruiting class stands less than two weeks from National Signing Day:
Where Baylor’s class ranks
Baylor’s 2018 recruiting class ranks No. 24 in the nation and No. 4 in the Big 12 with 15 signees, 6 enrollees and 2 commits. The Bears trail only Texas, Oklahoma and TCU in the conference. Cornerback BJ Hanspard, WR Joshua Fleeks, Galvin, Williams, WR Tyquan Thornton and QB Gerry Bohanon are 4-star recruits. Thornton and Bohanon have enrolled.
Offers, by the numbers
- Reported offers: 131
- 5-star offers: 3
- 4-star offers: 56
- In-state recruits offered: 68
- Florida recruits offered: 23
- New Jersey recruits offered: 6
- Louisiana recruits offered: 5
- Pennsylvania recruits offered: 5
- Georgia recruits offered: 3
- QB Gerry Bohanon, 4 stars, Earle (Ark.)
- WR Tyquan Thornton, 4 stars, Booker T. Washington (Miami)
- S Christian Morgan, 3 stars, Porter (Texas)
- T Casey Phillips, 3 stars, Franklin (Texas)
- TE Christoph Henle, 3 stars, The Oakridge School (Arlington, Texas)
- S JT Woods, 3 stars, Steele (Cibolo, Texas)
- CB BJ Hanspard, 4 stars, DeSoto (Texas)
- WR Joshua Fleeks, 4 stars, Cedar Hill (Texas)
- APB Craig Williams, 4 stars, Crosby (Texas)
- T Connor Galvin, 4 stars, Katy (Texas)
- WR Kalon Barnes, 3 stars, Silsbee (Texas)
- DT Joshua Landry, 3 stars, Lamar (Houston)
- TE Bralen Taylor, 3 stars, Cuero (Texas)
- G Princeton Pines, 3 stars, Tara (Baton Rouge, La.)
- T Jackson Kimble, 3 stars, Carroll (Southlake, Texas)
- WR Jackson Gleeson, 3 stars, Mansfield (Texas)
- ATH Mark Milton, 3 stars, Clear Brook (Friendswood, Texas)
- T Ylijaah Hall, 3 stars, Bryan (Texas)
- TE Ben Sims, 3 stars, Clark (San Antonio)
- DE Marje Smith, 3 stars, Marshall (Texas)
- P Issac Power, unranked, Ponderosa (Parker, Colo.)
Unsigned commits (2)
- ATH Stanley Hackett, 3 stars, Sam Rayburn (Pasadena, Texas)
- G Johncarlo Valentin, 3 stars, Asa College (Philadelphia)
Top uncommitted targets
The Bears are about done on the recruiting trail. There are only two or three spots left in the class. Here are a few elite players the Bears could consider as the recruiting period ends.
4-star WR Tommy Bush, Samuel Clemens (Schertz, Texas)
Since the beginning of the recruiting cycle, there have been two crown jewels in the Class of 2018: quarterback Gerry Bohanon and wide receiver Tommy Bush. Bohanon is signed; the staff is hoping Bush will join him.
Bush has the skill set to be a special playmaker. He is listed at 6-foot-5 with a 4.47 40-yard dash time. Bush’s high school only used the wide receiver sparingly, but he proved his worth in the recruiting circuit.
Bush will announce live on ESPN2 at 11 a.m. on National Signing Day. He will pick between Baylor, Georgia, Ole Miss and Michigan State.
3-star LB Joseph Ogunbanjo, Alief Taylor (Houston)
Linebacker Joseph Ogunbanjo was a longtime Baylor commit, but he opted to de-commit and take his official visits. He eventually took visits to Cal, Baylor and Utah. According to 247Sports, Ogunbanjo will decide at 9 a.m. on National Signing Day between Baylor and Cal.
Most expected the talented linebacker to commit again to Baylor, but the 247Sports Crystal Ball has been trending toward Cal in the last few days. Baylor does not have a linebacker commitment in the Class of 2018, and Ogunbanjo would help solidify the rotation.
Here is a breakdown of the number of commits by position:
- QB: 1/2 (Bohanon)
- RB: 2/2 (Williams, Hackett)
- TE: 3/3 (Taylor, Henle, Sims)
- WR: 4/4 (Fleeks, Barnes, Gleeson, Thornton)
- OL: 6/6 (Galvin, Phillips, Kimble, Hall, Pines, Valentin)
- DL: 2/2 (Landry, Smith)
- ILB: 0/0
- OLB: 0/1
- CB: 2/2 (Hanspard, Milton)
- S: 2/2 (Morgan, Woods)
- P: 1/1 (Power)
Here is a breakdown of Baylor’s commits by state:
Arkansas: 1 (Bohanon)
Florida: 1 (Thornton)
Louisiana: 1 (Pines)
Colorado: 1 (Power)
New York: 1 (Valentin)