Florida State recruiting: Previewing loaded visit weekend
Stay tuned as Florida State marches on the warpath to the top of the recruiting rankings. Don’t miss the coverage from Sanjay Kirpalani and the DieHards.com team. Read his daily notebooks here at 8:30 a.m. ET Monday through Friday and follow us on Twitter for the latest Seminoles recruiting news.
Mix of uncommitted targets and current commits highlight list of visitors
The first big recruiting weekend of the Willie Taggart era will take place this weekend, just days before the first early signing period.
While Taggart basically missed out on last weekend because he had just arrived in Tallahassee days earlier, this weekend figures to be a pivotal one for the Seminoles 2018 class.
There are six scheduled official visitors who will be on campus, including three commitments.
Additionally, the other three prospects represent players who should be considered priorities for Taggart and the Seminoles staff.
There could also be a few unofficial visitors that show up.
What should Seminoles fans be looking for this weekend?
Let’s take a look as we preview the official visitors scheduled to be in Tallahassee this weekend.
*players listed in alphabetical order
— Christian Armstrong™ (@kvng_ca) December 10, 2017
3-star OT Christian Armstrong
- Hometown (High School): Warner Robins, Ga. (Warner Robins)
- Height/Weight: 6-foot-5, 335 pounds
- Position Rank/Overall Rank: No. 28 offensive tackle, No. 387 overall
- Skinny: Armstrong committed to Florida State in June over offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida and Penn State, among others. He has remained firm in his pledge since. He’s an important recruit considering he’s one of just two offensive linemen currently committed in the 2018 class. He will be an early enrollee for the Seminoles.
Back to the Doak with @pagnotti5 this weekend plus my birthday 🍢🎊
— FREAK. (@isaiahbolden23) December 13, 2017
4-star CB Isaiah Bolden
- Hometown (High School): Zephyrhills, Fla. (Wesley Chapel)
- Height/Weight: 6-2, 175 pounds
- Position Rank/Overall Rank: No. 24 corner, No. 232 overall
- Skinny: Bolden has had a whirlwind recruitment already. He committed to Florida State last summer before flipping to Oregon in April. However, when Taggart came to Tallahassee, he backed out of his commitment to the Ducks. Could his recruitment come full circle and end up where it started? This weekend’s visit could go a long way toward ensuring that is the outcome.
soo who trying to ride? #Tribe18 🍢
— 5️⃣6️⃣🦍 (@trenchmonster8) December 14, 2017
4-star DT Robert Cooper
- Hometown (High School): Snellville, Ga. (South Gwinnett)
- Height/Weight: 6-2, 377 pounds
- Position Rank/Overall Rank: No. 4 defensive tackle, No. 94 overall
- Skinny: Cooper has been committed to Florida State since June 2016, but he has not been on campus since the Seminoles spring game. At one point, it seemed like Alabama and Georgia were prime threats to flip him. But Taggart did an in-home visit with him last week and it went well enough for Cooper to solidify his commitment. It also resulted in him scheduling his official visit this weekend. With the momentum firmly headed in the right direction, Taggart may push to get Cooper to ink in the early signing period.
4-star DE Malcolm Lamar
- Hometown (High School): Seffner, Fla. (Armwood)
- Height/Weight: 6-5, 250 pounds
- Position Rank/Overall Rank: No. 10 strong-side defensive end, No. 268 overall
- Skinny: Florida State lost a commitment from Stacy Kirby earlier this week, which leaves the situation at defensive end looking bleak. However, Lamar is a name familiar with Taggart as he’s currently committed to Oregon. Taggart did an in-home visit with Lamar earlier this week and now Lamar will make his way to Tallahassee this weekend. With the need at defensive end being what it is, Lamar might be the most important recruit on campus this weekend. Could a flip be possible? With the way things have gone so far, it certainly can’t be ruled out.
— Asante Samuel Ⓜ️ (@godschild3_) December 14, 2017
4-star CB Asante Samuel Jr.
- Hometown (High School): Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (St. Thomas Aquinas)
- Height/Weight: 5-9½, 166 pounds
- Position Rank/Overall Rank: No. 9 corner, No. 56 overall
- Skinny: Samuel has been committed to Florida State since April, but schools such as Miami, Ohio State and South Carolina have continued to recruit him aggressively. In fact, the Hurricanes visited him this week and tried to get him to visit Coral Gables this weekend. However, this visit could be pivotal in helping Samuel shut down the process and move forward with his commitment to the Seminoles.
— ST.HOLLYWOOD (@pagnotti5) December 11, 2017
4-star WR Warren Thompson
- Hometown (High School): Seffner, Fla. (Armwood)
- Height/Weight: 6-3, 196 pounds
- Position Rank/Overall Rank: No. 29 receiver, No. 154 overall
- Skinny: Thompson is another recruit who represents a pivotal target at a position of need. He committed to Oregon in the summer, but reopened his recruitment shortly after Taggart arrived in Tallahassee. Similar to Lamar, this weekend’s visit was set after Taggart did an in-home visit with Thompson. When he was committed to the Ducks, Thompson had mentioned the possibility of signing early. He has since backed off that timeline, but the Seminoles are clearly in the driver’s seat in his recruitment. Could a commitment or even an early signing be possible? While it’s far from certain, Thompson could be the one uncommitted target that makes the most sense to potentially take that leap.
Miss a previous edition? Find every daily Florida State DieHards recruiting notebooks right here.