Sound Off: Florida State gears up for rival Florida, seeks to continue its postseason streak
It felt like old times again for Florida State last Saturday.
The Seminoles (4-6) had not scored over 30 points in any game this season, but Delaware State was the perfect tonic for an ailing offense. Jimbo Fisher’s squad reached the mark in the second quarter and continued to pile on the points in a 77-6 win — the second-highest margin of victory in school history. The 77 points also tied for the second-most points the team has scored in a game with the record being 80 against Idaho in 2013.
While the onslaught came against an FCS foe, it was a performance that was much needed for a squad that is trying to keep its hopes alive of stretching its postseason streak to 36 consecutive years. FSU travels to Gainesville this week to play rival Florida and finishes up its disappointing season the following Saturday at home against Louisiana-Monroe.
In the win over the Hornets, true freshman quarterback James Blackman completed 11 of 15 passes for 179 yards and three touchdowns in his most consistent performance of the season despite not playing the entire game. Meanwhile, the defense held the Hornets to just 67 yards the remainder of the game after allowing 125 yards on the first two Delaware State drives.
In this week’s episode of Sound Off, presented by Zaxby’s, ACC DieHards writers Dave Miller and Joe McCaffrey discuss the latest news surrounding FSU as it looks to finish strong and extend its 2017 season.
Florida State-Florida preview
Here are some time stamps to guide you:
- James Blackman looked sharp in his best game of the season. (2:28)
- Ryan Green had his first touchdown since 2013, and Justin Motlow made FSU history in the Senior Day win. (3:38)
- Have the Seminoles moved up in the latest edition of ACC power rankings? (5:32)
- Florida is FSU’s next opponent, and it’ll come on the road. But the Seminoles have had success in Gainesville in recent years. (8:04)
- Seminoles coach Jimbo Fisher will likely make staff changes at season’s end. What could be in store for the ‘Noles in the assistant ranks? (10:34)