The niche statistical website 538.com apparently doesn’t have much faith in Kansas charging to its fourth NCAA men’s basketball championship this weekend in San Antonio.
In 538’s picks for the weekend, Kansas is listed with a 23 percent chance to win the title. It ranks third behind Villanova (46 percent) and Michigan (25 percent). Loyola-Chicago ranks with a 7 percent chance of winning the championship.
Kansas will be an underdog – again
538.com makes the Jayhawks as a significant underdog in Saturday’s semifinal. Villanova is favored with a 64 percent chance of winning the game. Kansas is ranked at 36 percent.
And in the first game on Saturday, Michigan is pegged with a 69 percent chance of winning the game. Loyola-Chicago’s chances are listed at 31 percent.
The Jayhawks have played well as an underdog this season, notching a 4-1 record. They won as an underdog at West Virginia, in the Big 12 Tournament finals against the Mountaineers, at Texas Tech and in Sunday’s Elite Eight game against Duke.
Kansas’ only loss as an underdog was on Jan. 23 at Oklahoma.