North Carolina recruiting: 5-star PF E.J. Montgomery expecting to cut list soon
Join us daily at ACC DieHards for the latest North Carolina recruiting news and notes on the next crop of Tar Heels. Don’t miss any coverage from Cody Pace and the DieHards.com team. Read his daily notebooks here at 7 p.m. ET Sunday through Thursday. In this edition, we discuss 5-star power forward E.J. Montgomery’s recruitment update from the McDonald’s All-American Game in Atlanta.
E.J. Montgomery to cut list soon
It’s now been more than a month since 5-star power forward E.J. Montgomery, the second-highest-rated uncommitted prospect in the Class of 2018, made any news on the recruiting trail.
At the end of February, Montgomery took unofficial visits to North Carolina, Duke and Kentucky. But since then, the only thing that’s happened is a visit from new Georgia coach Tom Crean. And given that Montgomery has said all along that he would like to take at least some of his official visits, the timeline is starting to get tight.
Montgomery broke the silence on Monday at the first practice for the McDonald’s All-American Game. In an interview with Rivals’ Eric Bossi, Montgomery indicated that he’s planning on choosing which schools will get his five official visits “pretty soon.”
“Me and my dad was trying to cut the list down this week kind of and then we’re going to start to take the visits,” Montgomery told Bossi.
As expected, Montgomery confirmed to Bossi the three schools he visited unofficially in February will all get official visits. The last two spots will then go to either Vanderbilt, Wake Forest or Georgetown, indicating that the overtures from Crean were unsuccessful.
Once he decides on where to take the visits, Montgomery indicated that he’ll be looking for the school where he has the best relationship with the coaching staff and feels like he fits the style of play.
Tar Heels offer 2 elite Georgia prospects
North Carolina had as many prospects in its Class of 2018 from Georgia as it did from North Carolina.
The Tar Heels staff has tried to continue that success into the Class of 2019 with offers to more than 20 prospects from the Peach State, including two more over the last week to elite defensive prospects.
The first went to 4-star Lawrenceville, Ga., corner Andrew Booth on Wednesday.
— Andrew Booth Jr. (@andrewbooth21) March 22, 2018
Booth is one of the best defensive backs in the junior class, ranking as the No. 5 corner and No. 47 overall player per 247Sports.
He’s got a long list of elite offers, now totaling 24. That list includes Auburn, Clemson, Florida State, Alabama and Georgia. Booth has kept himself busy in 2018, visiting Clemson and Georgia in January; Alabama, Florida State and Tennessee in February; and South Carolina in March.
With so many blue-blood programs involved, it might be hard for North Carolina to get much traction with Booth, but maybe it’ll have better luck with the second prospect, 4-star defensive tackle Jaelin Humphries, who received his offer on Thursday.
— Jaelin Humphries (@JaelinHumphries) March 22, 2018
Also out of Lawrenceville, Ga., Humphries is the No. 13 defensive tackle and No. 225 overall player in the Class of 2019 per 247Sports.
The North Carolina offer brings him up to 20, which includes Georgia, South Carolina, Auburn, Florida and LSU. He’s been to South Carolina and Auburn this year and the Bulldogs are a modest early favorite.
Miss a previous edition? Find every ACC DieHards daily North Carolina Tar Heels recruiting notebook right here.