North Carolina recruiting: Roy Williams watches 5-star PF Matthew Hurt
Join us daily at ACC DieHards for the latest North Carolina recruiting news and notes on the next crop of Tar Heels. Don’t miss any coverage from Cody Pace and the DieHards.com team. Read his daily notebooks here at 7 p.m. ET Sunday through Thursday. In this edition, we discuss Roy Williams trip from Dallas to Indianapolis on Sunday to watch 5-star power forward Matthew Hurt.
Tar Heels eye 5-star PF Matthew Hurt again
Roy Williams has made efforts to visit several Class of 2019 prospects across the country over the last month, and last weekend he made efforts to follow up with many of them during the first evaluation period in April.
We can now add 5-star Rochester, Minn., power forward Matthew Hurt to that list. After spending the beginning of his weekend in Dallas for the Nike and Under Armor events, Williams trekked to Indianapolis for the adidas Gauntlet to watch Hurt, according to 247Sports’ Brian Snow.
North Carolina certainly wasn’t the only interested program in attendance, either. Kansas’ Bill Self, Kentucky’s John Calipari and Louisville’s Chris Mack, as well as assistants from Indiana and Wisconsin all watched Hurt on Sunday, according to Snow.
It’s no surprise to see such a large contingent in attendance for Hurt, the No. 2 power forward and No. 4 overall player in the Class of 2019 per 247Sports.
Hurt has 17 offers but Kansas, Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota and North Carolina are generally considered the favorites.
This trip marks the second time this month Williams has been to see Hurt. Williams took a trip to Minnesota on April 5 for an in-home visit with Hurt.
As for his timeline, Hurt told media including 247Sports’ Drew Davis last weekend that he plans to cut his list down after the AAU season. From there, he plans to use all five official visits and would like to have a decision sometime in the fall. If he can’t make that deadline, he said that he’ll wait to commit “around this time next year.”
Tar Heels offer 4-star tight end
While most of North Carolina’s football staff has been focused on the Class of 2019, there have been quite a few additions lately to the Class of 2020 recruiting board.
One of the more notable ones came on Wednesday when the Tar Heels extended an offer to 4-star Morristown, N.J., tight end Lukas Ungar.
— Lukas Ungar (@lungar13) April 18, 2018
While it’s early in the evaluation process, Ungar is rated by 247Sports as the No. 6 tight end in his class and the No. 243 overall prospect.
North Carolina will also have the benefit of getting involved early. Despite his high stature in the class, Ungar has just three offers: Maryland, Rutgers and North Carolina.
Ungar has been heavily involved with the Scarlet Knights, who offered him in February. Before that offer he’d already been on campus twice and he followed that up with another trip for junior day on Feb. 25. He’s also attended camps at Northwestern, Old Dominion, Vanderbilt and Penn and taken an unofficial visit to Penn State.
Miss a previous edition? Find every ACC DieHards daily North Carolina Tar Heels recruiting notebook right here.