In a statement obtained by The Oklahoman’s Brooke Pryor, a woman announced she is dropping her request for protection from Oklahoma running back Rodney Anderson.
In the statement, the woman, Courtney Thornton, said her faith in the local judicial system “diminished” after the Cleveland County District Attorney’s office announced Anderson wouldn’t face criminal charges after she accused him of sexual assault.
Thornton said she must begin training as an officer in the U.S. Air Force. A hearing regarding the protective order, which she requested on Dec. 4, had been scheduled for Monday.
“Despite my adamant fight for justice,” Thornton said in the statement, “I have chosen to dismiss my Victim Protective Order upon receiving military orders two days ago to begin training. I look forward to starting this next chapter of my life as a 2nd Lieutenant in the United States Air Force.”
Rodney Anderson’s accuser, Courtney Thornton, has released a statement. She’s dropping the VPO she filed for against him on Dec. 4. pic.twitter.com/BQusGRIIVZ
— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) December 15, 2017
Anderson, who passed a lengthy polygraph test following the accusation, created a Twitter account to deny the allegations made against him.
Anderson’s attorney released a statement after the Cleveland County District Attorney’s office press conference on Thursday.
Statement from Rodney Anderson’s attorney: pic.twitter.com/PV34LVMnzv
— Brooke Pryor (@bepryor) December 14, 2017
Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley said Anderson was “still fully on the team” as of Thursday. Anderson is the Sooners’ leading rusher this season with 960 yards on 162 carries (5.9 yards per attempt).