Oklahoma student to race Marquise Brown; Baker Mayfield in contention for No. 1 pick
Welcome to the Tuesday edition of our Oklahoma DieHards morning roundup, where we take you through all the biggest headlines around Oklahoma athletics.
The events surrounding the Oklahoma spring game are continuing to get even better.
One lucky student will have the ability to race against Oklahoma wide receiver Marquise “Hollywood” Brown. That Oklahoma student will get a 10-yard head start in a 50-yard race in the “You vs. Hollywood” challenge.
Several former Oklahoma stars are also expected at the spring game. Notably, former wide receiver Sterling Shepard announced he will be there.
- Arkansas defensive coordinator John Chavis took a shot at Oklahoma’s defense during an interview with The Athletic’s Jason Kersey.
- Oklahoma offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh has grown into one of the best in the sport. He spoke with The Oklahoman’s Ryan Aber about the possibility of someday being a head coach.
- Blue-chip offensive lineman Amari Knight announced Oklahoma made his top 10. The Sooners will compete with Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Notre Dame, Oregon, Tennessee and Texas A&M.
Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield could be in contention for the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft. Cleveland.com’s Mark Kay Cabot is reporting that Mayfield will visit the Browns on Tuesday in Cleveland.
Mayfield is the first quarterback to visit Cleveland during the draft process. It makes sense. Mayfield threw for 4,627 yards and 43 touchdowns during a stupendous senior season, en route to winning the 2017 Heisman Trophy. Cleveland holds the No. 1 and No. 4 picks.
- Right-hander Jake Irvin earned Big 12 Pitcher of the Week. He’s 5-0 after allowing just 2 hits against Baylor in eight innings.
- Softball senior Paige Parker earned Big 12 Pitcher of the Week. She’s 17-1 after two wins against Baylor where she gave up no runs in 11 innings.
- Baseball heads to Tulsa to take on Oral Roberts in a midweek matchup on Tuesday. The game starts at 6:30 p.m. CT and will be broadcast live on WatchESPN.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Wide receiver Jeff Badet
Any way y’all can sign me up in a online class so I can be a student for a day? 👀 https://t.co/J14qe6CZr9
— Jeff Badet (@OU_2XBadet) April 2, 2018
Defensive tackle Du’Vonta Lampkin
Prob the biggest L ever
— Du’Vonta Lampkin LLT🌎 (@DeeChilllin) April 3, 2018
Miss a recent edition of the morning roundup? Check out all of our previous editions here.