Oklahoma to warm up fans with plenty of festivities before spring game kicks off
Welcome to the Friday edition of our Oklahoma DieHards morning roundup, where we take you through all the biggest headlines around Oklahoma athletics.
Oklahoma football will host one of the most anticipated spring games in recent memory on Saturday. The game takes place at 1:15 p.m. CT in Norman, but the festivities start early.
The fan fest starts at 9:30 a.m. on Jenkins and Brooks. The statue for former Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops will be dedicated at 10 a.m. at the Switzer Center. At 11 a.m., the gates open for a Trace Adkins concert at 12:30. Finally, at 1:15, the Sooners take the field.
The Saturday will also stand as one of the biggest recruiting weekends of the year. Eighteen players will make their official visits on Saturday, including a pair of 5-star prospects.
- Oklahoma football will have its 2017 Big 12 championship rings presented during the spring game on Saturday. Except for a few early enrollees, most of the Sooners from the team are expected to attend.
- Oklahoma coach Lincoln Riley is apparently fine with handing over the play-calling duties. Three lucky fans will get to call a play during the spring game.
- DieHards writer John Shinn profiled quarterback Kyler Murray, whose reputation is helping to build some major recruiting inroads in the state of Texas. Murray is considered one of the best Texas high school football players of all time.
Baker Mayfield news
Former Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield is starting to move away from Oklahoma so he can focus on preparing for the NFL draft. He is turning his eyes to the NFL, so that GMs can see he’s focused on the future.
Mayfield was also reportedly called a “6-foot jerk” by an anonymous NFL GM, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter. Without a doubt, that insult is going to go in his mythical book of motivation.
- No. 11 baseball plays against No. 17 Texas in a huge series at L. Dale Mitchell Park in Norman this weekend.
- Point guard Trae Young is still rising up draft boards. The freshman is ranked No. 7 overall on The Ringer’s 2018 NBA Draft board. Only Mo Bamba is ranked higher in the Big 12.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Head coach Lincoln Riley
Happy Birthday Abigail! Enjoy! https://t.co/qnOg5KrbHI
— Lincoln Riley (@LincolnRiley) April 13, 2018
Quarterback Baker Mayfield
False. Love Hollywood but I got my man Baguette @OU_2XBadet
— Baker Mayfield (@bakermayfield) April 13, 2018
Miss a recent edition of the morning roundup? Check out all of our previous editions here.