Oklahoma’s recruiting class now No. 2; Sooners’ spring game among best attended
Welcome to the Tuesday edition of our Oklahoma DieHards morning roundup, where we take you through all the biggest headlines around Oklahoma athletics.
Oklahoma’s incredible recruiting stretch continued on Monday as 4-star safety Jarrian Jones committed to the Sooners. Jones is the No. 349 player in the 2019 class from Flowood, Miss., and is a big addition to Oklahoma’s class.
Jones’ commitment moves Oklahoma’s recruiting class to an astonishing No. 2 in the 247Sports composite ratings. The Sooners reached No. 1 in the afternoon, but late Monday night Florida State moved ahead of them. The Seminoles have one more commit in the class.
- Oklahoma’s spring game was a nationally-relevant event on Saturday. The Sooners’ game ranks No. 3 nationally in attendance to this point with 52,102. Only Florida State and Florida rank ahead. Nebraska, Georgia and Alabama are expected to finish ahead.
- Pro Football Focus watched the film and rated Baker Mayfield as the top quarterback in the 2018 NFL Draft at making NFL throws.
- The Dallas Morning News’ panel ranked the players from the Big 12 most likely to win a Heisman next season. Different experts ranked Rodney Anderson and Marquise Brown as players who could compete.
Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray is expected to be around for a few more years to sling the ball around in Norman. However, at least one analyst believes Murray could have a bright future in another sport.
ESPN’s Kyle Peterson said that Murray should be extremely attractive to Major League teams after his sensational start to the 2018 baseball season. Peterson thinks Murray’s upside is perhaps the best of any prospect in college baseball.
- Oklahoma pitcher Nathan Wiles earned Big 12 Pitcher of the Week after leading a 6-0 win over Texas last weekend. He pitched 7⅔ innings and led the first shutout of the Longhorns since 1957. Wiles also tied a career high with 7 strikeouts.
- Former Oklahoma shooting guard Kameron McGusty announced he will transfer to the University of Miami.
What they’re saying on Twitter
Cornerback Tre Brown
“Stay down till you come up” pic.twitter.com/4KiZ6PtLvr
— Tre Brown (@T_Brown25) April 16, 2018
Wide receiver Theo Wease
1000% Committed….. pic.twitter.com/CD0j9Rg8XQ
— Theo Wease Jr (@_TheoWeaseJr) April 16, 2018
Position coach Jay Boulware
— Jay Boulware (@CoachJ_Boulware) April 16, 2018
Miss a recent edition of the morning roundup? Check out all of our previous editions here.