Two Pac-12 softball stars in just their first seasons on campus have earned recognition from the National Fastpitch Coaches Association.
The NFCA released its Top 10 Division I Freshmen of the Year and UCLA’s Aaliyah Jordan, as well as Washington’s Gabbie Plain, made the cut.
— Pac-12 Conference (@pac12) May 11, 2018
Jordan is leading the No. 1-ranked Bruins in batting average, hitting .458 this season with 61 RBI and 10 home runs. She’s also slugging .768 and is 6-for-7 on stolen base attempts.
As for Plain, she’s nursing a 1.11 ERA in the circle with a 16-4 record over 20 starts and 24 appearances. In 120 innings pitched, Plain has struck out 145 batters while only coughing up 12 extra-base hits.
UCLA’s Rachel Garcia won the NFCA’s Division I Freshman of the Year last season.
The rest of the top 10 for 2018 is listed below:
- Jocelyn Alo, DP/OF, Oklahoma
- Meghan Beaubien, P, Michigan
- Mia Davidson, C, Mississippi State
- Mary Haff, P, Arkansas
- Janae Jefferson, 2B, Texas
- Aaliyah Jordan, OF, UCLA
- Rachel Lewis, 2B, Northwestern
- Gabbie Plain, P, Washington
- Katie Prebble, 1B, Gardner-Webb
- Sydney Sherrill, 2B, Florida State